Search This Blog

Monday, September 17, 2012

Beef Chunks that are out of this World

I wanted to share this recipe before I forget exactly what I did.  I purchased 5.23 lbs of beef ranch steak for a cost of  $15.64.  I trimmed off 11.5 oz of fat and grizzle.  Next time I will wait until another lean meat goes on sale so this will be more cost effective.  I used about 2 Tbsp of olive oil to saute my 2 large, diced onions and 2 tsp of minced garlic in  a large, electric non-stick wok.  I put the garlic in towards the end of sweating the onions so the garlic didn't burn.   I removed the onions and garlic, then in small batches I browned one side of the meat which I had cut into about 1 inch cubes.  Most recipes call for stuffing raw beef chunks into a jar and then processing, but I like to beef up the flavors of my canned goods as much as possible so I partially cook my meat before canning.  After browning one side of the meat, remove it to a bowl (keeping it as warm as possible while cooking the rest) and continue with the remainder of the meat - in batches.  When all the meat was cooked, I put 2 cups of beef stock/broth into the wok.  When it was hot, I added the beef and onions back in and turned the wok to low.  I quickly put the beef into hot jars leaving a generous 1 inch headspace.  Filled the jars with the hot stock.  Wiped off the rims with a paper towel wet with hot water-then a clean paper towel dipped in vinegar.  If there is any fat on the rim the jars will not seal.  Now is the time to mention that the beef should be very lean.  The fat in my jars is partially from the canola oil I cooked the onions in.  Process according recommended methods.  This produced 6 pints of delicious beef chunks.  I have provided several links to learn how to can beef.  My favorite is Frieda's.

http://www.friedalovesbread.com/2010/04/pressure-canning-beef-my-date-with.html

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/strips_cubes_chunks.html

http://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/meat.php

No comments:

Post a Comment